Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My TOP Procedure

Sometimes I feel relieved that I had a cyst on my ovary. Making abortion a little easier to go through. At least I have a reason and probably would not be plagued with guilt as much. 

Doctors informed me that usually after abortion, the cyst will naturally shrink because the absence of pregnancy hormones are not there to feed its growth. 

Albeit with a heavy heart, I woke up very early that morning. We drop the the kids off at my aunt's house and headed to the women's hospital. My husband was there holding my hands.
My appointment was at 7:45am. I reached at about 7:30am.

Finally I saw the doctor at around 11am. The doctor asked some standard routine questions. Told me to go urinate if I need to before she insert a pill in my vagina to make me dilate. Hated being inserted down there with the pill. I had that painful uncomfortable sensation before, when gynaes induced me during my labour for my first birth. Oh! And the terrible VE examinations. Hated them all! 

Finally the pill was inserted and I had to wait for like 3-4 hours before the surgery is performed. The surgeon who performed the TOP procedure asked if I wanted to put in the IUCD since I would be in deeply anaesthetised and wouldn't feel a thing. I declined. 

By this time I was terribly hungry and thirsty. 21
Hours since my last meal.. And the anaesthetic doctors took quite some time to find my vein for the drips. My veins  were barely visible. The next part is the best part. 
The doctors placed the gas mask on me and ask me to breathe the anaesthesia in and out and count to three... I always liked medicines that knocked me out. That way I feel I don't have to think and just rest myself and my brain with ease.   

Breath in and out 1..
Breath in and out 2..
Breathe in and out 3...
Breathe in and.. 
Total blank. 

The next time I woke up, was when the nurse pulled out the tube from my throat. It was used during the procedure to help me breathe and prevent my lungs from collapsing. 
It took about 35minutes only.

Felt groggy and no pain at all. Send back to the ward for a light meal and observation for 2 hours.
A counsellor went through with me what are my contraceptive options. She advised me to please plan carefully and avoid unnecessary abortions in future. Told me to abstain from sex for two weeks. Doctor came in to check and added that subsequent abortions will have more risks. 

Doctor gave the green light and I was discharged. It all happened within a day. I'm just thankful that the memory of my abortion procedure is a total blank.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment